It’s time to make our leaf grinder robot #AHA Challenge entry chassis move. Taking a page from the Servo City #Actobotics Nomad robot kit design manual, we will be mounting our drive motors directly on the wheels of our two main drive tires.
The parts list for our drive assembly:
- 2 – 32 RPM Precision Planetary Gear Motor 638244
- 2 – Clamping Swivel Motor Mount 22 mm Bore 555148
- 2 – Swivel Mount 555140
- 4 – Attachment Block 585400
- 4 – 6-32 x 1/4″ Socket Head Machine Screw 632106
- 4 – 6-32 x 1/2″ Socket Head Machine Screw 632114
- 2 – 4.3″ Robot Tire 595650
- 2 – Black Robot Wheel 595652
- 2 – 12 mm Hex Wheel Adapter C 545648
1. Insert the wheels into the tires
2. Fix the hex wheel adapters to the shaft of each gear motor and attach the adapters to the wheels.
3. Slip the clamping mounts over the gear box of each gear motor.
4. This step is a major deviation from the Nomad kit. Whereas the Nomad kit mounts the motors on the inside of its chassis channel, I am mounting my robot’s motors on the outside of the chassis channel. My reason for adopting this mounting technique is for protection of the motors. The completed drive assembly will have the tops of each motor protected from debris by the chassis’ aluminum channels.
5. Use the Attachment Blocks for fixing the Swivel Mounts to the outside of the chassis’ 15″ channels. Both drive wheels should be mounted underneath the third circle back from the front of the chassis channels.
While I don’t have a battery hooked up to this drive assembly, yet; feel free to make some “VA-ROOM” sounds.